ECAT Tirana assisted UNEP in a feasibility study to:
• Strengthen the capacity of the environmental authorities regarding national and local waste management;
• Support medium and long-term management of the disposal site with a complementary management plan to improve the environmental management standards at the site;
• Give clear recommendations and plan how to urgently reduce risks to the environment and health with short - term remedial measures;
• Recommend and plan medium and long-term remedial measures to reduce the environmental impacts from the disposal site;
• Implement feasible immediate activities in order to reduce risks in the short-term;
• Identify feasible remediation approaches to all recommendations above
Project outputs included the definition of environmental impacts of the Sharra landfill, and the definition of exposure risks with regards to the local population and environmental impacts assessed.
The feasibility of various remedial measures were subsequently studied and assessed, and the most feasible remedial activities designed.